You are the
th visitor here since 7 April 1996 ! Welcome !
PART II : TURKEY
"I am sure that the first idea of a Turkish mosque came
to someone who saw two cypress trees, one on either side of a
small round hill."
Freya Stark, Letter, 12 Feb 1940, in Dust in the Lion's Paw,
Turkey is a fascinating country ! This is a country ruled by
many civilizations and empires - Hittites, Urartians, Assyrians,
Greeks, Commagene, Romans, Byzantines and the Ottomans - and their
relics dotted the country. Despite a surface area that is only
about the size of France and Germany combined, Turkey's unique
geographical features has blessed the country with diverse climatic
conditions, from alpine coolness to the oven-hotness of the desert.
If one visits the Mediterranean city of Antalya in April/May,
he/she can swim in the warm seas and then after an hour's journey
up the alpine Taurus Mountains, ski. During my two week-stay
in this country, I have seen places that reminded me of the snow-capped
beauty of the Swiss Alps, the rolling plains of the English Midlands
as well as the dry savanna-deserts of the Australian Outback.
Click here to see my route in Turkey in detail
Who are the Turks ?
Istanbul - Glories of the Ottomans
Cappadocia - Land of Fairy Chimneys
The East - Land of Hope & Agony
Ankara - City of Ataturk
Links to Turkey :
- General Info about Turkey, Turkish Music, Carpets, Tourism/Travel Info, Pictures from Turkey, News, Anatolian Civilizations, Turkish Foreign Policy, Cyprus : a well done site on Turkey. Check up its Reading Room - the site's great links to other Turkish related locations...
Focus on Turkey - this is a fascinating site with tons of tourism info on all aspects of Turkey, plus great pages on archaeological sites on the Aegean coast and Cappadocia
Information about Turkey
- Northwestern University graduate student Yusuf's great links to numerous Turkish topics plus the site's info about: history, geography, daily news, recipes, sports in Turkey.
Turkiye - This beautiful site is set up by the Turkish Student Association of the University of Tennessee-Knoxville
Turkey in Pictures or go to its US mirror site at http://www.eecs.nwu.edu/~yusuf/turkey/travelling/in-pictures
Turkish Foreign Policy
- Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs' site with background Information on Cyprus, Turkish Minority in Western Thrace, Human Rigts, Terrorism and PKK, A Background Note on Aegean Disputes, Black Sea Economic Cooperation, etc
Atatürk, founder of modern Turkey
- life and facts about Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, founder of modern Turkey
Turkish History Site
Great site with essays on Turkish History
Turkey Tourist Info
- General info for travelers. Travel guide, info about cities, regions, historical places, turkish cuisine, etc...
Who are the Turks ? And things Turkish...
Back to TWC's Mad Rush Homepage
Please email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org